This blog is dedicated entirely top free my thoughts.To speaking out even if no one will hear me. To letting it all out.Letting it go. Its gonna be a mix of fiction and nonfiction . A mixture of my experiences coupled with the experiences of others to make it an ideal wholistic representation of what an average Ghanaian girl would experience in her daily life. Welcome!!!Welcome to my new beginning

Wednesday 20 March 2013

Letter to My Unborn Child

My Dear Baby,



I wasn't ready for you. But you came anyway.
Your filling the space in my womb now. How am I gonna tell my parents you are already here? I wasn't prepared for you. How much more them ?
Knowing my Ghanaian parents, their gonna force me to marry your dad. Eii. I'm dead!!!I'm finished!!!
I wanted to get rid of you.Yes its true. I never thought I could even consider that option.
But I did. I was ready to drop all my beliefs about "Pro life"  without a second thought. Yes, you never what it feels like until you are in someone's shoes.
The only thing that stopped me was my lack of courage.The courage to carry out this act a second time.I know, I've done it before, way after I dropeed my "Pro life" arguement. But still I couldnt,I just couldn't.
Your dad....., He doesn't want to see me anymore. It's not his responsibilty, he says.
And you know,I don't blame him. I blame myself for falling in love with such an ass. What was I thinking ?
I still can't understand, how did this happen? Well, I mean, I know what happened, I had sex. Yes, but.... But what?
Its useless now. There's no point going back. Is there?Your already here and you are growing by the day.
My tummy is gradually becoming big. I know I will not be able to hid it any longer. I don't think I should even bother to hid it. Am I ashamed? Yes? No? And if I am, I'm I ashamed of you or myself? But, what is there to be ashamed of? A lot, my dear, alot? Child out of wedlock?What will the church folk say?
What will they say? Hmnn!!! What to do, What to do?

Do I have a choice? Is it really my decision? Do have power over whether you should live or die?
I'm keeping you my love.I know its going to be hard.But I'm keeping you.
I love you.I love you.
I know that whatever brought us together is for a higher and nobler cause.

Love,
Your mum.


I'm writing from a point of view of people in this situation.It's a mix of how I think I would feel if I was in a similar situation. This post has been inspired by what I see happening around me.Lol!!! Please don't get it twisted.


In Ghana, I believe most young women in this situation go through this stage at certain points in their lives and take tough decisions. The stigma that surrounds teenage pregnancy, pregnancy outside marriage coupled with lack of sex education and support in our society actually worsens the situation.
I recently watched a video by Anas Aremeyaw Anas, Afirca's seasoned investigative journalist and I couldn't watch till the end. I'm was utterly dismayed and rendered speechless. How could this happen?



I can't finish this post.Really, I can't.

2 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful piece by all standards. It's a candid reflection of what most young women go through in Ghana and probably other places in the world. I call it "A mirthful dilemma". Her joy is bated.

    ReplyDelete